Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Food


Olive Garden Chicken Carbonara


When I started Friday Food I thought it would be a nice light-hearted way to end the week and maybe find some new recipes...yeah right. I guess I will start at the beginning. In my internet surfing I ran across a few websites that provide recipes from leading restaurants. I thought Oh goody! You see Corvette’s restaurant taste runs from Chili’s to Filiberto’s with the occasional McDonalds or Taco Bell thrown in for good measure. I remember a few years ago when he came home excited because he had discovered Wendy’s Turkey Sandwiches. Well anyway I thought I can still try out all these places with out actually going there and all the while exposing Corvette to something other than Baby Back Ribs.

I found this recipe for Chicken Carbonara. It sounded really good even though it involves a lot of ingredients but didn’t seem too time consuming. Hey they make it in the restaurant right? Things started going downhill when I discovered I did not have two of the ingredients required.

  1. Bacon Bits

I know I have bacon bits. I just bought them not long ago. I searched high and low. Nothing. Crap. Ok just fry up some bacon and cut it up. No big deal right? Wrong.

  1. No flour

I need flour to make the white sauce thicken. Once again I go searching. I also know I have flour because I have been making bread. Dammit. I decide to go to the garage and attempt to search the box mountain. Unfortunately they are labeled everything from junk to stuff. Alright who did this? Umm. Me I think. Fine so I rifle through a few boxes and give up because:

a. it is hot in the garage

b. Buddy is in the house howling

c. I look on the bright side and think I will figure it out.


So, back in the kitchen I start looking for something to substitute for flour. Now I know I could just go to the store but I DON’T WANT TO. And that’s all I have to say about that. Finally after opening my cupboards about 10 times I take out a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Hmm, first ingredient is FLOUR! This will work. Oh happy day. My meal is saved.

Ok now that this is under control I feel I can move on. So since I spent so much time getting things together I try to multi-task and fill the dish washer as I am cooking the sauce. The recipe says to bring to a boil and let simmer. Ok, check. Buuuuttttttt if you don’t keep an eye on it and turn it down when it comes to a boil you get…..yes I'm sure you can guess. I turned around to see my sauce boiling all over my stove and going in other burners and down, down, down inside the stove. So grab the pan, move the pan, it’s still spilling over while I am screaming and Buddy has resumed howling and Angie (nothing much bothers her).


OK, cigarette break. After that I put the sauce on another burner I attempt to clean up my poor, brand new stove. Mindful of the fact that Corvette will walk through the door at any moment and I am sure he will think I have ruined the brand new stove. Don’t even ask! Just as I slip the last burner back in place the back door opens:


Hi Honey, What’s for dinner it sure smells good.


I’m just standing there with my best poker face on.


What's that? Something new?


Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.


Well the rest of the preparation was actually uneventful and guess what? The Chicken Carbonara was really good. I think next time I will just get a couple jars of Alfredo Sauce and call it good. Here is the recipe if you dare.

Oh, next Friday may just very well be Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. But, alas, you all know how to make that right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home