Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wedding Bells and The Perfect Dress

I will be the Maid of Honor in my friend N's wedding on January 31st. This is her second marriage. She was married as a very young woman, divorced and then was in a long term relationship that went completely sour so I am glad that she has found the happiness that she deserves. The wedding is semi-formal but low-key with mainly family and close friends.

I have to admit at first I felt a little strange, I mean, afterall I have not been in a wedding since I was in my twenties. What they heck would a 50 year old bridesmaid look like? There is no way I am dressing up in puffy sleeves, big bows or worse yet something too revealing. I am an original California girl turned Arizonian so years of sun exposure have taken it's toll on my skin. Since I found out last summer I knew I at least had time to fine the Perfect Dress.


I started out online at David's Bridal and quickly added all kinds of internet bridal shops in my favorites. I knew right away that the traditional bridesmaid dresses were not going to work for me. I like to see a well-dressed woman but not one my age wearing a twenty-something outfit. One the other hand I am not quite ready for the polyester pants either. I looked at the mother of the bride dresses and they screamed mother of the bride!!! Just could not go there either.


So after months of searching I received a catalog from Coldwater Creek and after flipping through it I found it! The Perfect Dress. One problem though, it was more than I wanted to spend. I knew I probably would not wear it again but I really wanted it. So I still had some time and decided to think about and maybe talk myself into it. Well I am on Coldwater Creek's mailing list and I started receiving emails. First one 20% off. hmm. Good. Think some more. Second one 30% off. Oooh better. Still thinking though. Third one. 40% off. Ok do I hear 50%!!! Alas, the Stars are aligned! The birds are singing and flowers blooming. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus! Fourth email, 50% off baby. Ok, no more thinking or talking to myself. I'm on it. The card is out and the dress was ordered. The picture is below. I love the front because it covers and the back gives just a hint of sexy. I could wear it somewhere else and not look like a bridemaid. Now I need to find a wrap and maybe blue shoes. I am not sure about the shoes, I might just wear black since I already have them. We'll see.


Oh by the way, guess what I got a few days later. 60% off email. Damn. Oh well, the dress had been shipped so I thanked the stars, birds, flowers & Santa and hit delete.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

julie...I love this post! I chuckled as I read it, recalling when my two daughters were married. My oldest daughter was married 5 years ago and suggested I wear a 'periwinkle blue' dress....I suggested she go... um...jump in a creek (in more colorful language) :) I refused to look like a frumpy 'mother of the bride'. I found a dress at Saks, yes I paid more than I wanted, but I could justify since it was my daughter's wedding and I could wear it to the company Christmas party. Two years later, my baby girl was married. She told me I should wear the same dress I wore to her sister's wedding (she is my angel) which immediately had me on the hunt for a dress. I found a gorgeous dress at Chadwicks...actually VERY similar to the dress I bought at Saks (only a lot less $$$$)
Don't you love happy endings?

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

January 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home