Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How do You Survive Deployment?

I get this question quite a bit from co-workers, friends and family members. How do I do it? Well, I might say, "Very carefully." The truth is I do not always have a good time dealing with it. Even though my son is not in war zone, so to speak, I still worry and realize he is still a target. I find the not knowing aspect to be the hardest.
 
I cope by working on his Christmas care package, writing emails to him and updating his deployment website. I am so fortunate to be able to follow his deployment on FaceBook and Twitter. I also look at Marine, Naval and Unit websites quite regularly. I have said it before and I will say it again. Google is my friend.
 
Surviving deployment is made a little easier for me because I have many friends and family that understand when I get a little upset. Even though this is a non-combat deployment, there are other issues such as financial problems. I have to get his car registered this week and I have a feeling the experience will be less than pleasurable. Power of Attorney is not the end all to every situation that arises.
 
I also believe that we, the people back home can help ourselves survive by doing whatever we can, be that standing with the Patriot Guard, becoming a Soldiers' Angels or just shaking the hand of a vet and saying "Thank you." For some joining support groups or online communities such as Marineparents.com can help coping on a daily basis.
 
Deployment is hard any way you look at. 

So, how do you survive deployment?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home