Friday, April 3, 2009

Marines in Training


LCpl Honda is doing some serious month-long training. His unit recently went to 29 Palms to train for their upcoming deployment. He said it is very intense but he is having fun doing it.

He called last weekend to say they were on their way to a base near Oakland to jump out of helicopters. HE was overjoyed! Makes me a little bit queasy. I am just glad he is happy and enjoying his training.

So I was browsing around Marines.mil and I came across this article about his unit and their training. I thought it was interesting. There are a few pictures too and I wondered if LCpl was in any of them. Hard to tell because they all look alike in their camo and gear.

Apparently the training is pretty grueling and challenges both the Marines’ abilities to work in unison as squads and their individual physical endurance. Also,the scenario mirrors combat situations in Afghanistan, where they may be deploying.

“The course is physically exhausting,” said Staff Sgt. Shawn M. Skaggs, 26, from Pilot Grove, Mo. “In combat, you have adrenaline and the will to survive to keep you going. In training, you don’t have that; you have to have that physical will to drive yourself.”

You can read the full article here.

Please say a prayer for my son and his unit. I know they get the best training possible but a little divine intervention can not hurt.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home